TNTP seeks full-time Director, Talent Management for TNTP’s Talent and Culture Department. This position is based in a home office anywhere in the U.S. or from the TNTP central office in Brooklyn, NY. Occasional travel required
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
The Talent & Culture (T&C) department works to ensure that TNTP can find, grow, and keep amazing people. We are focused on effective talent management, which TNTP celebrates as an essential lever for success, and strive to create an organization with high levels of staff engagement, where all staff feel passionate about the work and committed to TNTP. We are a team of over twenty, with some of us based in TNTP’s Brooklyn office, and the rest working remotely from home offices across the country.
What You’ll Do
The Director, Talent Management will direct report to the Partner, Talent & Culture and lead our organization’s talent management strategies in support of the organization’s workforce needs and a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Specifically, you will:
- Design and implement talent management tools and processes, which may include
- Developing career pathways and fine-tuning competency model to support staff growth and development
- Streamlining processes focused on Talent Planning, Promotion and Succession Planning
- Implementing an online performance management system
- Ensure equitable talent management outcomes, which may include:
- Using data from talent assessments and decisions, employee feedback and internal client input to inform program and/or implementation changes
- Collaborating with leaders within and outside T+C to ensure that processes and communication supports effective, equitable decision-making
- Provide direct coaching and support to leaders on effective talent management practices
- As needed, manage employee relations and conduct exit interviews
- Shape an inclusive culture for staff across the department and organization
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect the Director, Talent and Culture to:
- Drive organizational change. You have experience driving organizational and cultural change for a mid-sized organization. You’re a strategy setter who can generate innovative and nuanced solutions to complex challenges and provide strategic vision. You effectively implement new initiatives, and can manage the details in order to get results.
- Listen to and invest staff at all levels of TNTP. You are comfortable engaging and investing leaders at all levels of the organization, including executive team members, in your vision for change. You effectively balance the needs of the organization and individual staff experiences to shape a strong and inclusive organizational culture.
- Generate creative solutions to complex problems. We’re counting on your ability to think through challenges and come up with innovative strategies and solutions to address our organizational learning needs. You are comfortable advising senior leaders about these creative solutions and can influence decision-makers at all levels of an organization.
- Have stage presence. We’re counting on your strong public presentation skills and ability to provide thoughtful and compelling insights in settings small and large, formal and informal.
- Be comfortable with the unknown. Ambiguity doesn’t overwhelm you; just the opposite, you thrive on it. You can partner with and meet needs across a variety of leaders and organizational contexts.
- Continually develop your expertise. You constantly learn about and seek out new and evolving best practices in diversity and inclusion, and identify intersections with TNTP’s work.
- 5-7 years of experience designing, improving or scaling talent management efforts, including performance management, succession planning, leadership development and/or workforce development.
- Experience applying concepts and practices of equity to design and execution of talent management work
- Experience with talent management in a matrix management and/or professional services environment
- Track record of effective organizational change management
- The ability to establish yourself as at trusted advisor to staff at all levels of an organization
- Organization development and/or business partner experience a plus
- Strong technical skills and experience with HR systems
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to analyze data, draw conclusions and make recommendations from the data
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
At TNTP, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. TNTP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.