The Petey Greene Program supplements educational programming in prisons, jails, detention centers, and youth prisons by providing free, quality tutoring to incarcerated people. We work to promote academic achievement in prison classrooms to support the future success of people in prison and to build stronger communities.
To accomplish these goals, the Petey Greene Program builds partnerships between universities and prisons, jails, and youth prisons. The Program collaborates with university volunteering/civic engagement centers, academic departments, and student groups to recruit, train, and coordinate volunteers, typically undergraduate and graduate students. It then works with prisons, jails, and youth prisons to enable these volunteers to work as tutors in adult basic education, high school equivalency, and college programs.
The Regional Manager will be responsible for overseeing efforts to recruit, train, and manage all Petey Greene volunteers involved in prison education programs in the greater Philadelphia area. They will also be responsible for managing a subset of the Philadelphia program’s volunteers, facilities and universities. The Program’s university partners include the University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, Haverford College, and Swarthmore College. The position would require travel between the office and university and facility partners.
In this role the Regional Manager will ensure that partnerships with prisons and jails are strong and will determine the facilities’ tutoring needs for each semester. They will recruit, schedule, and train volunteers. They will meet regularly with faculty and student groups and set up events at universities. The Regional Manager will work to support volunteers to develop a campus culture of criminal justice reform, including hosting events and building relationships with key community stakeholders. Beyond these tasks, the Regional Manager is expected to continually support the volunteers at their facilities, specifically by conducting site visits and debriefs, but also through informal coaching and troubleshooting.
In addition, the Regional Manager supervises the Philadelphia team, including the Philadelphia Division Manager and an intern. As team lead, they will represent the Petey Greene Program in Philadelphia and act as point person for both the Petey Greene national team and external partners. The Regional Manager also coordinates the Philadelphia Advisory Board with particular focus on the impact, strength, and growth of the Philadelphia program. They will report to the Petey Greene Program Manager.
Regional Manager, The Petey Greene Program in Philadelphia
Full-time staff (35 hours/week)
The Philadelphia Petey Greene team works out of a coworking space, though there is some flexibility with regard to work style and location.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruits new volunteers by contacting relevant student groups and departments, attending community engagement fairs at partner universities, and managing relationships with faculty and staff at partner universities.
- Screens, interviews and selects prospective volunteers to ensure that we are providing high-quality tutors who are committed to their students.
- Manages the process of getting volunteers cleared to enter the prison or jail where they are assigned to tutor.
- Facilitates trainings for new volunteers.
- Schedules and coordinates weekly transportation for volunteers.
- Maintains consistent communication with volunteers, especially if an incident occurs or a volunteer misses a tutoring session.
- Manages volunteer data, including schedules, attendances, and feedback, through Salesforce.
- Keeps track of student data and communicates student needs with volunteers.
- Supervises campus leadership teams and works with them to put on events that shine a spotlight on issues of mass incarceration or strengthen tutoring pedagogy.
- Networks with criminal justice and education-involved stakeholders
- Guides and monitors the development of the Philadelphia program
- Supervises the Philadelphia Division Manager and an intern
- Leads and organizes weekly meetings with the Philadelphia team
- Manages the Petey Greene Philadelphia Advisory Board
- Attends quarterly all staff meetings and/or conferences in different states throughout the east coast including: Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Boston, MA; and Providence, RI.
The above responsibilities are subject to change as the Petey Greene Program grows both regionally and nationally.
- A commitment to issues related to mass incarceration, racial equity, and the rights of formerly incarcerated people.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Proficiency in Gmail and Google Suite
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in person and via email, text, and phone.
- Attention to detail and extremely organized.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Previous experience managing employees or teams
- Comfortable with giving and receiving feedback.
- Group facilitation skills
- Has previous experience working with or knowledge of prisons and jails as an employee, partner, volunteer, or a formerly incarcerated person.
- Previous experience working with student and/or volunteer organizations.
- Experience working in education.
The Petey Greene Program is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ people, women, formerly incarcerated people, and those directly impacted by mass incarceration,
HOW TO APPLY
Please email email@example.com including Philadelphia Regional Manager in the subject line, with the following documents:
- Cover letter (applications without a cover letter will not be considered).
- A writing sample (this can be a college essay, a published piece of non-fiction writing of any length, or an example of professional writing such as a memo or business letter.)