We are seeking a results-oriented person to join our Greater Philadelphia Program team, who will support the Program team to meet its ambitious goals, and ensure that we have the operational resources to implement region-wide priorities.
You will be responsible for the operations of the Program team, increasing the team’s efficacy and effectiveness. You will provide the regional program team with the data reporting and analysis that is necessary to effectively track progress to goals, reflect upon successes and areas for improvement, and make course adjustments to ensure the team meets its goals. You will also manage team systems and operations, corps member communication (incoming and current) and provide support on the planning and execution of team and small corps member events.
The environment is exceptionally fast-paced and demanding, and the ideal candidate must be a natural self-starter who has a keen attention to detail, the ability to anticipate problems, and a collaborative work ethic. This position offers a unique opportunity for an individual who excels at customer service and enjoys creating and maintaining organizational systems. An individual would be particularly motivated in this role if s/he is energized by building relationships with incoming teachers, enjoys supporting others, possesses a strong people-centered orientation and feels confident and comfortable managing up to others.
This role reports to the Director, School and Regional Partnerships (D,SRP).
There are more than 16 million children growing up in poverty in the U.S., and less than 10 percent of them will graduate from college. These statistics are not a reflection of our children’s potential; we know that children growing up in poverty can and do achieve at the highest levels. Rather, these statistics reflect the systemic lack of access and opportunity for children in low-income communities.
Teach For America’s (TFA) mission is to find, develop, and support a diverse network of leaders committed to expanding opportunity for children from classrooms, schools, and every sector and field that shapes the broader systems in which schools operate. We are seeking individuals who align with our mission and core values and are ready to join us in this global movement.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Corps Member Onboarding, Communication and Paperwork (60%):
● Assist in ensuring that up to 100 incoming corps members each year attain full eligibility to teach in Philadelphia
● Support and execute on regional testing strategy to ensure that every corps member has passed their required certification exams prior to their summer teacher training experience
● Participate and support in the onboarding design experience for incoming corps members, alongside the D,SRP
● Serve as the main point of contact for corps members with concerns and questions surrounding paperwork, certification and/or placement
● Host ongoing office hours for corps member support during onboarding
● Assist D,SRP with Confirmation (the six deadlines throughout the year where corps members decide to join the corps)
● Create and/or disseminate all incoming and current corps member communication
● Regularly update the School Partnership website and disseminate school partner communications
● Assist D, SRP and Managing Director, Program with corps member school placement process
● Update and maintain Google Classroom assignments for all incoming corps member onboarding requirements
Managing Program team systems and operations (25%)
● Manage corps member office assistants
● Update and maintain incoming and current corps member information so that the Program Team has accurate and timely data
● Provide information and data requests to Program and regional team members
● Lead strategy (in partnership with the Program team and region) to achieve 90+% completion of all national corps member surveys and manage any regional modifications to survey content
● Assisting with processing corps member status changes
AmeriCorps Support (5%)
● Collaborate with regional functional teams to ensure the region remains in compliance with state and national requirements, including assisting with file audits and corps member communication as needed
Administrative and Team support (5%)
● Process American Express reports and reimbursements for D, SRP and MD, Program
● Additional special projects as needed
Regional Team Responsibilities (5%)
● Participate in all-day in-person interviews to help select new corps member/teacher applicants (about 8-10 days total throughout the year along with all other staff members)
● Staff large-scale regional events such as corps member induction, often times for a whole day or multiple days at a time
● Attend and participate in all-staff team meetings and retreats
Candidate Profile and Experience Prerequisites
Education and Experience
● Bachelor’s degree required
● 2-4 years professional work experience
● 45 hours per week expected, with some weekends and evening work required
● Strong proficiency with Excel, Google applications and data management experience
Skills and Approach to Work
● Excellent organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail
● Ability to take initiative and improve systems and processes
● Demonstrated experience managing workload effectively, strong follow-through, and execution
● Exceptional written and interpersonal customer service skills
● Ability to shift course and alter approaches and be flexible in assuming responsibilities
● Excellent critical thinking and planning skills
Philadelphia is the birthplace of our nation’s democracy and boasts a history of momentous events and admirable leaders. Yet despite centuries of innovation and progress in the city, there is still much work to be done. In the School District of Philadelphia, fewer than 1 in 5 students graduate, enroll in college, and persist even into their second college year. It is clear that not all of Philadelphia’s students are getting the education and opportunities they deserve. Since 2003, Teach For America has been working in partnership with schools and community members across Philadelphia to change this reality.
Our team will be laser-focused in working towards four overarching 2025 goals:
● IMPACT: Our teachers, corps members and alumni, work with students to achieve daily positive impact
● DIVERSITY: We are as diverse as our city in our perspectives, approaches and programs
● LEADERSHIP: Our alumni in school, system, and community leadership positions shape the conditions for our schools to thrive
● PARTNERSHIP: We all find ways to serve, lead, or partner to improve life opportunities for our students
By joining staff, you join a network of individuals committed to pursuing equity for all students and developing themselves as professionals in the process. We as an organization value the longevity of our employees and offer a full benefit plan that has proven to be pretty competitive. The salary for this position is also competitive and depends on your prior work experience. Please be advised, you will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process.
WE ARE DEEPLY COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
*This job description reflects Teach For America’s assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.