If you love coaching teachers, working on a team of experienced high-performing educators, and are hungry to further build your instructional leadership skillset, the Instructional Fellow role is right for you. In this role, you’ll be able to build relationships with graduate students and adapt our curriculum to meet their needs. Your responsibilities will be challenging and diverse.
During an average week, you can expect to do things like work closely with a senior faculty member (e.g., Dean) to prepare to teach graduate students during evening classes, meet in-person with graduate students that need extra help, observe graduate students teaching in their K-12 classrooms, and grade assessments.
As a result of this effort, you’ll benefit from seeing teachers that you’ve worked with during the year grow as people and professionals. Plus, you’ll maximize your community impact by supporting teachers in generating significant, measurable student achievement gains in their K-12 classrooms.
To grow your own skills as a teacher coach and leader of adults, you will have the opportunity to participate in individual, team, and institution-wide professional development. You will also receive individualized coaching. We will support you in your development in the same way that you will support your graduate students.
WHAT YOU’LL TACKLE
Support Assistant Professors and/or Deans:
- Provide a first audience and feedback for weekly instruction
- Aid in the facilitation of weeknight classes by orchestrating and supervising student practice and small-group work; provide tactical observation and feedback to graduate students; answer questions; assist in activities; and run all logistical elements of class time
- Grade assessments, synthesize performance data, track cohort progress, and identify gaps in graduate student understanding
- Assist in teaching and facilitating classes in spring / summer
Ensure graduate students’ progress and success:
- Observe graduate students in their K-12 classrooms at least three times a year as their primary source of practical evaluation and provide them with specific, actionable feedback around best teaching practices
- Provide graduate students with additional classroom support and observations as needed
- Hold routine office hours to support graduate students
- Serve as the first responder and primary contact for graduate students, channeling only the most difficult questions to Assistant Professors or Deans and provide quality feedback to graduate students on Relay assessments
- Create and maintain a positive work environment and sense of community with all graduate students
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
First and foremost, Instructional Fellows must share the team’s sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement through phenomenal teacher preparation. Additionally, you must possess the following:
- A master’s degree or PhD
- At least three to five years of experience teaching in a school serving a high-needs community with demonstrated K-12 student achievement
- At least one year of experience observing, coaching, and developing novice teachers
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and intensely in an entrepreneurial environment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the opportunity gap
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
Relay offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time employees.
CONSIDERATIONS TO NOTE
- To avoid disrupting K-12 students’ education, we will not consider candidates for this role who are are currently teaching K-12 students.
- Faculty must have the ability to transport themselves to public schools across the city in order to conduct classroom observations.
- As part of our hiring process, we ask for candidates’ current manager as a final reference before an offer is extended.
- Faculty openings are contingent on graduate student enrollment numbers.
- You will hear back from a recruiter within one month of submitting your application.
Relay Graduate School of Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
APPLY HERE: https://relay.edu/browse-jobs?gh_jid=966194