If you love coaching teachers, leading professional development, working on a team of experienced high-performing educators, and are hungry to further build your instructional leadership skillset, the Assistant Professor of Practice role is right for you. In this role, you’ll be able to build relationships with graduate students and adapt our curriculum to meet their needs. Your responsibilities will be challenging and diverse.
During an average week, you can expect to do things like teach graduate students during evening classes, meet in-person with graduate students that need extra help, observe graduate students teaching in their K-12 classrooms, and grade assessments.
As a result of this effort, you’ll benefit from seeing teachers that you’ve worked with during the year grow as people and professionals. Plus, you’ll maximize your community impact by supporting teachers in generating significant, measurable student achievement gains in their K-12 classrooms.
To grow your own skills as a teacher coach and leader of adults, you will have the opportunity to participate in individual, team, and institution-wide professional development. You will also receive individualized coaching. We will support you in your development in the same way that you will support your graduate students.
WHAT YOU’LL TACKLE
- Provide a first audience and feedback of weekly instruction through instructional practice and feedback sessions
- Facilitation of weeknight classes 2-6 nights/month by orchestrating and supervising student practice and small-group work; provide tactical observation and feedback to teachers or teacher candidates; answer questions; co-teach; assist in activities; and run all logistical elements of class time
- Grade assessments, synthesize performance data, track cohort progress, and identify gaps in teachers or teacher candidates understanding
- Teaching and facilitating classes in spring / summer
Ensure teachers or teacher candidates’ progress and succeed:
- Observe teachers or teacher candidates s in their K-12 classrooms at least three times a year as their primary source of practical evaluation and provide them with specific, actionable feedback around best teaching practices
- Provide teachers or teacher candidates with additional classroom support and observations as needed
- Hold routine office hours to support teachers or teacher candidates
- Serve as the first responder and primary contact for teachers or teacher candidates, channeling only the most difficult questions to Deans and provide quality feedback to teachers or teacher candidates on Relay assessments
- Create and maintain a positive work environment and sense of community with all teachers or teacher candidates s
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
First and foremost, the Assistant Professor of Practice must share the team’s sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement through phenomenal teacher training. Additionally, you must have the following:
- A master’s degree or PhD
- At least five years of experience teaching in a school serving a high-needs community with demonstrated K-12 student achievement
- At least two years of experience leading professional development sessions for teachers
- At least two years of experience observing, coaching, and developing novice teachers
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and intensely in an entrepreneurial environment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the opportunity gap
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Principal or Teacher Certification in New Jersey or Pennsylvania is preferred
Relay offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time employees.
CONSIDERATIONS TO NOTE
- Faculty must have the ability to transport themselves to public schools across the city in order to conduct classroom observations.
- As part of our hiring process, we ask for candidates’ current manager as a final reference before an offer is extended.
- We are excited to consider internal candidates therefore you must submit your application by the deadline to ensure your current team has time to plan for your potential departure.
Relay Graduate School of Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
APPLY HERE: https://relay.edu/browse-jobs?gh_jid=1018663