The Mastery-Relay Teaching Residency, a partnership between Mastery Charter Schools and the Relay Graduate School of Education, is the perfect opportunity for those who are looking for an innovative pathway into the teaching profession. We are seeking inspired and dynamic educators to join our team and provide a top quality education for all of our students. Mastery Schools of Camden is known as the destination of choice for high performing education professionals and offers dynamic education systems in which emerging educators can learn and grow as they serve students and families.
The Residency offers aspiring educators, including recent college graduates and career changers, a unique opportunity to receive high-quality teacher training while gradually taking on more teaching responsibility. During this two year program, you spend your first year in a full-time support teaching position receiving mentorship and professional development from your school leaders, Relay Faculty, and our central office- based coaches to help you become an incredibly effective teacher. After a successful first year in the Residency, participants will be prepared to transition into a full-time lead teaching position at Mastery.
As a Relay Resident, you will work with lead teachers to create a joyful, learning community that is driven by Mastery’s mission and vision. As a Mastery team member, you will be trusted to make decisions and held accountable for critical results. You will engage in a positive and professional workplace embedded in a warm, joyful, student-centered, and welcoming school culture. Your passion and experience will be deeply valued and your opportunities for growth will be limitless. Apply today to make an immediate impact in the lives of our students!
Benefits of the Residency:
- Full-time salary and benefits (as a support teacher in the first year; if promoted, as a lead teacher in the second year);
- An opportunity to engage with expert teachers and best practices through extensive weekly training, real-time practice sessions, and actionable feedback in proven, highly-effective teaching techniques;
- A Pennsylvania or New Jersey Teaching Certificate (pending successful completion of Praxis and Basic Skills tests) at the end of Year 1;
- A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) at the end of Year 2 from Relay, an innovative program focused on practice-based teaching methods; New educator support from Mastery and Relay( e.g. heavily subsidized tuition)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide small and whole group instruction to students for academic support
- Work with lead teachers to do the following:
- Implement curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency
- Analyze student assessment data to measure progress and inform instruction
- Build relationships and maintain regular communication with families
- Collaborate to discuss student work, share best practices, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Other responsibilities as requested
- Attend practice sessions and an evening academic content class weekly
- Successfully complete NJ teacher certification requirements and Relay academic coursework
- Have desire and commitment to teach and serve Mastery’s school communities for at least three years after the Residency
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement;
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (Please reach out if your undergraduate GPA is below a 3.0)If currently in school, expected Bachelor’s degree by June 2018
- Official copy of transcript is required for application to Relay
- Must meet minimum eligibility requirements for NJ teacher certification- read more about NJ certification requirements here
- Commitment to and experience (preferable) working with underserved communities
- A strong sense of professional responsibility; genuine interest, belief, and care for students’ personal and academic success
- The ability to motivate, support, and challenge students in a student-centered, standards-driven classroom community
- Commitment to professional growth, self-reflection, receptiveness to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve and effectively address challenges
Please submit a cover letter and resume (be sure your resume includes your undergraduate GPA) with your application. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified applicants will be invited to complete a video interview and/ or phone interview. Finalists will be invited to conduct a demo lesson and interview at a Mastery school. Reach out with any questions about the Residency application process to Residency@masterycharter.org.