Position: Lead Teacher (All Subjects, All Grade Levels)
Start: July 2019
Employment Type: Full-time
KIPP, or the Knowledge is Power Program, is a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools in educationally underserved communities. Nearly 100,000 students attend one of the 224 KIPP schools that operate in 20 states and the District of Columbia. KIPP Philadelphia Schools Public Schools (KPPS) is a part of the national KIPP network and currently has six schools, serving approximately 1,600 students in North and West Philadelphia.
The mission of KIPP Philadelphia Public Schools (KPPS) is to develop the character, knowledge, and skills of our students so they will succeed in college, giving them the freedom to shape their futures and positively affect their communities. Our vision is to achieve our mission at critical mass – a cluster of schools in Philadelphia – thereby reinvigorating public education in this city through the performance of our students and the leadership of our educators. Within the next seven years, KIPP programming in Philadelphia will include ten schools, over 4,400 students, over 370 employees, and an operating budget greater than 60MM.
KIPP Philadelphia Schools is always seeking exceptional teachers of all grades and all subjects K-12. These teaching opportunities begin in July of 2019. Submitting this application considers you for all 2019-2020 teaching opportunities for which you are qualified. To browse immediate openings, please visit our careers website.
Each teacher at KIPP Philadelphia Public Schools is required to perform the following duties:
• Exhibit positive rapport with students, parents and staff
• Act as a role model for students
• Create and teach challenging, engaging and differentiated lessons linked to state standards, ensuring all students learn
• Create and foster a positive, safe learning environment that incorporates the school’s core values, high expectations and code of conduct
• Demonstrate strong pedagogy and effective classroom management
• Implement the school-wide student management policies within classrooms and throughout school
• Track student progress and use data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices
• Establish and maintain strong communication lines with all parents
• Continually improve teaching skills by seeking out constructive feedback and professional development opportunities
• Attend all staff meetings and other professional development sessions
• Be available for report card nights and other events involving parents
• Serve on school committees as needed
• Perform clerical duties, as required, relating to textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance reports, etc.
• Other duties as assigned by the school leader
KIPP Philadelphia Public Schools requires the following qualifications for all lead teachers:
• Commitment to working with educationally underserved students
• Proven track-record of high student achievement
• Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject/content area
• Hold high expectations for self and all students to uphold the school code of conduct
• Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player
• Ability to obtain Pennsylvania State certification Level I or II
REQUIRED EDUCATION, CREDENTIALS and CLEARANCES:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Highly qualified status as defined by the Pennsylvania Department of Education by passing Praxis in subject area interested to teach or holding a college degree in subject area interested to teach
• All required criminal and child abuse background checks
o PA State Police Clearance
o PA Child Abuse Clearance
o Cogent Federal Fingerprinting
o ACT 168
PREFERRED EDUCATION and CREDENTIALS:
o Pennsylvania State Certification Level I or Level II
o Master’s in Education/Teaching or content area
o If not certified, transcripts will be required for your initial emergency permit application
o 2+ years of full time lead teaching experience aside from substitute teaching in an urban school setting
Salary will be based on KIPP Philadelphia Teacher Compensation System with a comprehensive benefits package.
KIPP Philadelphia Schools is an equal opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
To apply, visit http://kippphiladelphia.org/join-our-team/apply-now/